Monday, March 3, 2008

Under The Knife

It all started back at the end of June last year (on Go Skateboarding Day, no less). We were having a cookout & skate jam up at the Greenhill Skatepark in Worcester, and during a break from cooking up some dogs on the grill, I took a few runs in the bowl. While bailing out of a Smith grind gone wrong, I must have planted my foot on the tranny weird or something because I felt my knee bend kinda strangely, and fell to the ground. A couple of weeks & a few X-rays/MRI's later I got the bad news... I had torn the ACL in my right knee. The ACL is one of the main ligaments that holds your knee together, and I was told that if I had it repaired, I would be on crutches for like 5-6 weeks and the full recovery time was like 5-6 months. I put off having the surgery, knowing that the Back-to-School, Tent Sale and Holiday times at the store were extra busy & I didn't want to be hobbling around during them. This time of the year is a little more relaxed at the shop, so I decided to go "under the knife" and have my knee fixed up at the end of last week. Everything went well, and I as long as I keep up with the rehab & exercise program they will be putting me on I should be back on the board hopefully by mid-summer. I can't wait! I haven't skated since I got hurt, and didn't get to snowboard at all this season. Don't take it for granted: GET OUT THERE AND RIDE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!! -TEO


A closeup of my new "Robo Knee"


Check out the cool new slippers I got from the hospital!! Sweet!!


Buddy checks out the knee brace


Watching TV, a few percs, an ice coffee & a big machine to move my leg around... couldn't be better!


My knee doesn't feel so "swell" right now...

No comments: