Thursday, June 11, 2009

Shut Skateboards : A Blast From The Past

The other day this dude "Crazy Karl" Magrini from Worcester stopped down to the shop with a couple of old skate decks that he had bought at a yard sale for a quarter each. (that's right... a QUARTER!! ...25 CENTS!!! I gotta start going to more yard sales!!) They were both made by Shut Skateboards and he said that he didn't know too much about the company. I gave him a little background on the brand (started in the mid 1980's as the first skate company out of NYC, brought back to life years later as Zoo York) and I told him that I used to have a board from them a while back. After rummaging around in the back of the shop for a quick minute, I came out with a long forgotten gem... my old Shut skate deck.




Karl set up one of the decks as a cruiser board: with wide trucks & big, soft wheels. I think that the deck that he set up is especially cool because the graphics have both Shut & Zoo York included on it.

















I even got a shot in the East Coast snowboard/skate magazine Eastern Edge "back in the day" around the mid-1990's riding that Shut deck. The picture was from the huge pool behind the Treadway Motel, an old abandoned motel on Rt. 9 in Framingham that was being torn down (the spot is now a Trader Joes I think...). I hope that he gets as much use out of his Shut deck as I did out of mine... -TEO


eastern boarder facebookfollow eb on twittereastern boarder youtubeeb flickr vimeo is betteryelp review sitedigg easternboarder.comeasternboarder.com main pageeb